These are the "big" beaches where long stretches of golden sand are exposed to the mighty Pacific and the powerful natural force of the sea dominates. We also have our special "little" beaches, often protected from the sea by a headland or an aspect to provide more of a haven for a swim or a picnic (or a "point break").
When you visit us you should not expect the facilities and services of modern tourist centres. We have no 5 star hotels (but some wonderful guest houses), no cinemas, no casinos and no heated swimming pools. Even more surprising, there are no hotels, no clubs, no poker machines. Indeed, apart from the highway and the few main access roads to the villages, there are few sealed roads.
Furthermore, there are no towns of any size, no TAB offices, no schools, no supermarkets, no McDonalds and no KFCs. These facilities are available in the bordering towns of Ulladulla and Batemans Bay (within a 1-½ hour's drive).
What the region does offer is comfortable and modern bed & breakfast, caravan park or motel accommodation (or even a cabin at a wildflower farm); a few quality restaurants and dining rooms and many things to do if you like the outdoors life as well as a rich local artistic colony.
Pretty Beach and South Some of our local attractions include:
- the magnificent Murramarang National Park - a unique coastal park protecting beautiful Spotted Gum and Burrawang forests on the slopes of Mt Durras as it drops into the sea
- fabulous unspoiled beaches, many within the Murramarang National Park, with no houses or development whatsoever
- great natural recreational facilities for surfing, scuba, walking and fishing
- horse riding, mountain bike tours, tennis and other facilities are available locally, while a much broader range of entertainment and services are available within ½ hour at Ulladulla to the north or Batemans Bay in the south
- a number of local artists have studios in the region, while the museum at Lake Tabourie provides a fascinating journey into the past
- many superb camping and caravan parks, mostly located right on one of our great beaches and designed to provide the perfect atmosphere for a family holiday in the tradional style
- for others, modern and traditional guest house and bed & breakfast accommodation is available as well as a well appointed motel in Lake Tabourie or a variety of cottages in special locations